7.09.2010

Friday roundup--7.9.2010

Happy today marks the end of yet another wacky (and oppressively muggy) week here. We starting our online parenting courses (yawn), and chipped away at that huge pile of adoption paperwork we need to complete. The best part of the week is we are piling into the Subaru on Saturday morning for a 6 hour road trip! We are heading across the state for The Man's bike race, and I'm running a 5K trail run. The wonder pug loves road tripping to, and we are all looking forward to getting out of dodge.

Here's a few blog posts I enjoyed this week:

  • Happy to stumble across an  interesting post by blogger jjtrenka at Jane's Blog on the recent change in the U.S. definition of being an "orphan". This definition is very important because it defines which children are eligible for adoption. Many people believe that children adopted internationally do not have parents, but that's rarely the case. In the case of Korea, single motherhood is so ill received and shameful, that single women choose to place their children up for adoption. I always find it ironic that the children who are adopted to American families will be brought up in a culture where single motherhood is commonplace. The new definition says in part:
"The child of an unwed mother may be considered an orphan, as long as the mother does not marry (which would result in the child’s having a stepfather) and as long as the child’s biological father has not legitimated the child." 
Wow--I know lots of folks who would be considered orphans under that broad definition.
  • I seem to be on a roll with cooking blogs lately. The post I put up last week about the mozzarella and tomato tart was a real find. The Man and I scarfed up that tart in no time flat! So this week I stumbled across a recipe for The Single Lady Pancake over at Joy The Baker. I'm a sucker for lots of sweet stuff on my cakes, unlike The Man who likes his with butter and syrup, and that's it. The other thing that I like about this recipe is it uses oatmeal so I can feel less guilty about all those fixins I'm gonna smother the cake with.
Short but sweet this week! Have a great weekend--

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    We'd love to hear from you but we aren't mind readers, OK? Just take a minute to share your thoughts and you'll make us really, really happy.