7.16.2010

Friday roundup--7.16.2010

Happy happy Friday! Only one more day to go in my work week and then, hello VACATION! Well, kind of vacation. But a week full of a different kind of work at least.

I didn't have as much time for trolling blogs this week, so this Friday list is going to be short. Hope you all have some good things planned and good weather to do things in!

------------

Oh, this blog post is painful but powerful. It created such a living, breathing image in my head of our baby's birth mother. She hasn't had our baby yet, but my heart aches to think of the pain ahead of her--that her experience might be the same as this essay, written by Korean adoptee Jane Jeong Trenka. Trenka is the author of The Language of Blood which is on my reading list, but now I'm afraid to read it! If it's anything like this post I'll be a quivering mass of emotional jelly.

This week a fascinating story in the Chicago Tribune about an open international adoption. I had heard of a few open international adoptions but what made this story especially amazing to me was that there were three children adopted to the U. S. and their parents figured out the story and made the connections. Really great read!


And because I'm going on vacation, I'm posting The Man's recipe for Bloody Marys. I wasn't a fan until I tasted these sweet delights. I hope to be drinking a few of these on the hot, humid evenings next week.


The Man's Kick Ass Bloody Mary
1 1/2 oz vodka
3 oz tomato juice (we use low sodium--do not use V8!)
juice from 1/2 a lime
1 tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
dash of celery salt
2-3 drops red hot sauce


Shake all ingredients together with ice. Strain into a glass over ice cubes. The lime makes all the difference!




2 comments:

  1. Great stuff!!! I hope you enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the essay by Jane Jeong Trenka and saw this article linked from there: http://cchronicle.com/2010/03/structural-violence-social-death-and-intl-adoption-part-1-of-4/

    Have you read this? If so, I'm interested to know what you thought. It's very interesting and definitely food for thought.

    Tara

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you but we aren't mind readers, OK? Just take a minute to share your thoughts and you'll make us really, really happy.