8.11.2010

WORD Wednesday--Santoki

Sometimes you just need to sing! I remember words much better when they are put to music. So I wondered if the same thing would hold true for learning Korean. I figured I'd start with learning a few children's nursery rhymes to check my theory. (And they also may come in handy on that long, long flight home from Seoul.)

So here's the first I'm learning--Santoki! It's a very well known children's nursery song in Korea, with a simple melody and words. The word "santoki" means mountain bunny. As this video shows, evidently not just children enjoy the song:




Watch a sweet little girl sing this song, go HERE. Or watch omma (mom) sing to her baby HERE.

The lyrics, in English, Korean and transliterated are below. It's up to you to learn the gyrations and accompanying hand moves on your own.

ENGLISH:
First Verse:
Mountain bunny, bunny
Where are you going?
Bouncing, bouncing as you're running.
Where are you going?
Second Verse:
Over the mountain peaks, peaks
I will climb them on my own
Plump, plump chestnuts
I will find and bring

ROMANICIZED:
First Verse:
San-toki, toki-ya
Uh-dee-reul gah-neu-nyah?
Kang-choong, kang-choong tee-myun-suh
Uh-dee-reul gah-neu-nyah?
Second Verse:
San-go-gae go-gae-reul
Nah-hon-jah nuhm-uh-suh
to-shil to-shil ahl-bahm-eul
Joo-wuh-suh ol-tae-yah

KOREAN:
First Verse:
산토끼 토끼야 어디를 가느냐
깡총깡총 뛰면서 어디를 가느냐
Second Verse:
산고개 고개를 나혼자 넘어서
토실토실 알밤을 주워서 올테야

3 comments:

  1. That one's on my list to learn still...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the videos of you and the man singing this after you have it down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was my *favorite* song growing up! i also loved "song-ah-jee" (about a cow) and "tan-il-jong-ee" (about bells). i never really understood the words, though. heehee :)

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you but we aren't mind readers, OK? Just take a minute to share your thoughts and you'll make us really, really happy.