8.13.2013

Link love

Seen some good things on the Interweb lately. Thought I'd share!

A fantastic piece by blogger Rachel Macy Stafford on slowing down and learning lessons from your children.
My carefree child was a gift to my Type A, task-driven nature --but I didn't see it. Oh no, when you live life distracted, you have tunnel vision -- only looking ahead to what's next on the agenda. And anything that cannot be checked off the list is a waste of time.
Whenever my child caused me to deviate from my master schedule, I thought to myself, "We don't have time for this." Consequently, the two words I most commonly spoke to my little lover of life were: "Hurry up."
I keep thinking about this, although my guy is more similar to my Type A, hurry up and go style. But on occasion, he slows WAAAYYY down and I get a bit crazy.  Guess the post spoke to me more about appreciating your child for who they are and making adjustments in your life for their personalities.

*

This TED Talk has been the talk of our household. Both The Man and I watched it and it completely resonated with us! Our lives have been a bit complicated lately. And work, for both of us, has been a challenge. The sciency bits of this really helped confirm what we already knew---things appear easier/better in your life when you train yourself to look at life as easier/better. It's a mindset thing.

Also, my biggest takeaway moment is quit putting your happiness on the shelf.  I'll be happy when I get this, when we have a new bathroom, when I get that promotion, etc. Happiness is RIGHT NOW! This life, this moment. Because our moments are finite and I want to quit wasting them while I wait for *the moment*.

This video is soooo worth the 12 minutes it takes to watch it. My only criticism is that this guy talks so damned fast!



*

Here's the latest in the awful saga of Adoptive Couple v. Baby Girl. If you haven't heard about this case, it's about the battle between a domestic adoptive family and the child's birth father for custody of a three year old girl. The case has went all the way to the Supreme Court because it is challenging the 1978 Indian Child Welfare Act.

Listen to the Radio Lab podcast (below) which presents both sides of the issue in such an emotional and compelling way. Adoption law is such a challenging and complex thing and never before have I heard/read anything that shows you just how heart-wrenching it is for those involved. Regardless of how you see the case, it's unarguable that the legal wrangling will have life-time impacts on this child. She's been wrenched from the only family she knew once, and it appears that she will be removed from her home, yet again.

Breaks my heart for them all.

Go to Radio Lab's website for a whole boatload of links about how this issue has been unfolding.





*

My friend at work was laugh-crying at her computer. I asked if she was OK and she shook her head, saying "damn you autocorrect". I haven't seen the site in a while. Just trolled through the "best of" section. Damn you, is right. My stomach hurts! Go check it out and LOL, followed by ROFL.

Best of DYAC

1 comment:

  1. Oh thanks for pointing out DYAC, I didn't know there was a website for that. Now I'm forced to spend a lot of time at work quietly laughing soooo hard! I don't want anybody to think I'm crying... geez, why don't my cubicle neighbors just go to meetings all day so I don't have to hold it in so much?? I hope I wore waterproof mascara today!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you but we aren't mind readers, OK? Just take a minute to share your thoughts and you'll make us really, really happy.