8.12.2011

Friday Round Up-Anniversary edition--8.12.2011

Grass and clouds. © Cheese Curds and Kimchi

I can remember my great-grandmother, telling me with her thick Dutch accent, "The older you get, the faster time goes." And I'll be damned if she wasn't right.

Yesterday reminded me just how fast time is going. It was 21 years ago on August 11 that I "met" The Man. I say "met" because he and I actually went to high school together and were friends well before we started dating. It was a really small school and there were only about 100 kids in our class. However, we never dated in high school. We liked one another but seemed to have bad timing--when I was available he had a girlfriend, and when he was available I had a boyfriend.

We graduated and went our separate ways. To be honest, I really hadn't thought of him in years until I "met" him at a friend's wedding about 3 years later. And I couldn't take my eyes off of him. We ended up hanging out throughout the reception, leaving the party (his brother came with us too), hanging out drinking beer and hot-tubbing at my parents house, and then lying on the grass talking and looking at the stars until 6 a.m. We married about a year and a half after that.

It was also three months ago yesterday that I was on a 14-hour plane trip with that same guy, flying home with our sweet baby boy. Much like the night I met his father, we stayed up throughout the night. Only this time, instead of staring at one another, we were staring at a beautiful child who is our son. (And trying to figure out how to diaper him, feed him, entertain him, etc.)

We celebrated both events on Thursday much like you might imagine--by eating ice cream, deep friend cheese curds, and looking at the pigs at the Wisconsin State Fair.

I guess the 11th is my lucky day!

Have a great weekend!

**************************

To make for a cause: Click For Babies: Period of Purple Crying Hats

To dream: Kid's rooms to drool over!

To fight fair: Fighting Words?

To understand privilege: White privilege-with great power comes responsibilities

To laugh. A lot: The Six Stages of Tantrums

To eat: The World's Best M&M Cookies

To understand: Gratitude (but not the kind that you might be thinking of) 

To make the ride fun: Road Trip Bingo printable 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you but we aren't mind readers, OK? Just take a minute to share your thoughts and you'll make us really, really happy.