11.09.2012

Gratitude Day 8: Tenacity

(This post is day 8 of the 21 Days of Gratitude project.)

It's the end of a very long week and I'm tuckered out. I'm a little stuck about what to write about today, so I'm following the suggested writing prompt, which is "a skill or talent you possess" that you are grateful for.

I'm grateful for my tenacity. I'm not sure if I was born with it, if it's because I'm the first born, or if it was something I cultivated over the years. But if there's one thing people know about me, it's that I'm determined and don't stop.

I learned early on that hard work and perseverance has rewards. Perhaps it was my training as a gymnast? There was the tangible reward for my efforts--a new skill acquired on the balance beam, or some extra allowance money for doing extra chores. But the biggest rewards were emotional. The excitement of doing what I set out to do, of knowing that no one made something happen but me, the feeling of being in control of my own destiny.

I guess that last one...the control of your destiny...that is really the reason behind my stick-to-it-ness.
That, combined with the fact that I'm terrified of failure. Fear that motivates me to keep moving forward, to not give up. Ever.

So it's a double-edged sword. I've had to learn to temper it a little. Not get so freaked out when my best efforts just aren't enough (like when I studied like crazy and got a B on an exam in college...almost had a melt-down).

But mostly, I sorta like that quality about myself. And I'm glad that I have it. Without it, I know I would be living a very different life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you but we aren't mind readers, OK? Just take a minute to share your thoughts and you'll make us really, really happy.