11.30.2010

Good luck, bad luck

Four leaf clover

"Guess what?" I say to The Man.

"You know that concert that I wanted to go to, but I didn't want to shell out the cash on the tickets because I already saw them once and it was a really great concert and I know you don't like them, but it's really an amazing show and..."

"Honey..." says The Man.

"Oh, well, I just won two tickets!"

And then I feel the butterflies in my stomach and I get a little worried.

"Oh crap, I said to The Man.

-------------

We are having a crazy run of good/bad luck in the past few weeks. Not sure what's happening with the universe, but it's kind of freaking me out.

A few weekends ago we decided to check out a new antique store we had heard about. It was filled with the usual crap antique store fare--lots of glassware, overpriced items from the 80s, vintage clothes, etc.

Not really a treasure trove for us mid-century folks, but, amid all the odds and ends, we spied these adorable modern children's chairs. (I know, I know. At some point we need to get practical and buy things that the little peanut needs like a place to sleep, etc. But those things are so hard to think about when we don't have a referral yet.) On top of being adorable, they were an outstanding price (we did a quick eBay price check to confirm). AND they were 20% off. We rushed to the counter and beamed with delight as we headed out to our car. What great luck!

As we walked to our car, at 2 p.m. in the afternoon, in a fairly nice part of town, parked on a busy street--we see the passenger side window of our car was busted out. Thieves made off with our 160G iPod (filled with music!) and my fairly new iPhone! Drats. Bad luck!

We never win anything, but when we went to the season banquet for The Man's mountain bike racing season, he had the fortune to win a huge drawing, winning $850 forks for his bike! Great luck!

A week later, we were at a silent auction fundraiser at our gym. Everyone who referred a new client was put into a drawing for a 42" flatscreen. They drew our name as the winner! Unfortunately, we didn't know we were entered into the drawing, or that they were having the drawing, or that we needed to be present to win. We left 10 minutes before they drew our name. Hence, no TV for us. Bad luck!

I could go on with a few other strange examples, but really, this is either strange coincidence, or something weird is going on in our world.

Anyhoo--the tickets are for The Decemberists, one of my favorite bands. Definitely a bit of great luck. But now I'm nervous for the other shoe to drop...keeping fingers crossed.







2 comments:

We'd love to hear from you but we aren't mind readers, OK? Just take a minute to share your thoughts and you'll make us really, really happy.